One Day Avalanche Course
Independent Mountain Guides is providing a One Day Avalanche Course in Queenstown to learn first hand about backcountry safety.
This course is suitable for skiers, snow boarders, hikers and climbers who want to get skilled in avalanche safety.
This course will start with an evening briefing. The briefing is on the evening before your booked dates followed by the the full day course the next day on the mountain. The course is covering the essential aspects of avalanche safety. All people who would like to register on the course must attend the evening briefing.
Where and when?
The briefing will commence at 6pm and finish at 7pm, location Small Planet Sports, 17 Shotover Street, Queenstown.
The on location avalanche commences at 8am the next day meeting at the bottom of the Remarkables Road Remarkables Snowsports area OR in the event of inclement weather, at Small Planet Sports 17 Shotover St. Course completion at 4.30 pm.
The topics of the course are
- avalanche transceivers and the use of other safety equipment e.g. probe and shovel
- understanding what avalanches are all about
- snow stability tests and terrain analysis,
- avalanche rescue
- the snowpack and the weather
The emphasis is on the study of snow and managing yourself in a back country situation or outside the snowsports area boundary. You will come away with much information and knowledge to manage personal choices in the back country.
What We Provide
- avalanche transceiver
What to Bring?
- your own lunch and favourite snacks,
- water bottle,
- alpine clothing
- alpine footwear
- Snowshoes are the best means of transport for this day or bring your own ski or snowboard back country setup
- Please feel free to bring your own avalanche safety items if you have them
- $195 per person (inc GST)
- a minimum of 3 persons is required to run the course
- If you dont have your own backcountry touring setups i.e.( skis, uphill bindings, skins) these can be hired from Small Planet for the day including poles.
- Give them a ring on +64 3 442 6393 to book your setup and check on their prices.
Who will teach me?
Your local, friendly and qualified guide knows the region well and will carry safety gear and a person location beacon in the event of any emergency.
Accredited, experienced, professional guides and instructors are used only by IMG. Personal safety is our priority. We have been operating since 1991 in Queenstown. We have all been examined and assessed either by the New Zealand Mountain Guides Assn or the New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Assn or equivalent overseas bodies.
Book online or phone 0274 140 544.