Winter Mountaineering Skills 5 Days
5 Day Winter Alpine Skills Programme
This programme has been designed for the summer alpine climber or prospective alpinist who would like to improve their winter skills and knowledge.
Over the five days the following mountainering skills will be taught and reviewed.
- Snow safety skills and avalanche rescue, waterfall ice climbing, anchors in snow, ice and rock, climbing winter
- Gully routes, snow shelters, multiple abseil (rappel) technique and lowers, rescue using skis, snowstakes and ice axe
- Winter camping skills, weather forecasting and winter navigation, snowshoeing techniques, short and long roping for exposed but easy terrain, holding falls in snow and on snow/ice aretes, the environmental care code
After your course you will have increased your winter alpine awareness and skills. You will be ready to take on new challenges. Some nights will be spent in tents or snow caves (snow domes). Venues will be alpine regions in the Queenstown basin.
You should come prepared for the mountains in winter.
What We Provide
- avalanche transceivers and probe,
- snow shoes and hiking poles
- helmets and crampons,
- rope, harness's and belay devices,
- snow stakes, carabiners and ice screws,
- shovels, ice axes and hammers,
- some winter clothing and footwear,
- tents, stove, gas, and cooking gear,
- all alpine food
What to Bring?
- your own favourite snacks,
- water bottle,
- Please feel free to bring your own avalanche safety items if you have them
- $2895 for one person (inc GST),
- $1850 per person for two persons (inc GST),
- $1650 per person for three persons (inc GST),
- $995 per person for four persons (inc GST)
Budget for 1 or 2 nights in Queenstown if the weather is inclement at our venue. Costs are in $ NZ.
Who will teach me?
All instructors have professional qualifications. NZOIA, NZMGA, or overseas diplomas in mountain education. Your local, friendly and qualified guide knows the region well and will carry safety gear and a person location beacon in the event of any emergency.
Personal safety is our priority. We have been operating since 1991 in Queenstown. We have all been examined and assessed either by the New Zealand Mountain Guides Assn or the New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Assn or equivalent overseas bodies.
How to Book?
Bookings are essential 7 days before the commencement of the course and must be accompanied by a $250 deposit. All courses begin on the 10th and 20th of the following months, June, July, August, September, and October.
You can book online or make a booking by phoning Small Planet Sports, or Dave at 0274 140 544.